Sunday, April 10, 2022

Early Bloomers and More

Spring blooming witch hazel is a sign that winter is almost finished with us. In our woods we have late fall blooming witch hazel. I enjoy seeing its spidery yellow blossoms long after all other blooming things have frozen.


Snowdrops can often be seen popping up through the snow in late winter. They brighten our day.

The bloom of skunk cabbage, too, can be seen while snow still rests on the ground. It is an early source of pollen for honey bees.


 


This hellebore, Lenten Rose, is so named because it often blooms between Ash Wednesday and Easter, the season of Lent. It is a new addition to our landscape so I am pleased to see its first ever blossom(s).


Two types of Scilla or Squill here, I believe. They don't seem to mind our woodsy environs and the deer and rabbits do not use them for salad either! 


Our crocuses or croci (both are apparently correct for the plural of crocus) have been staying closed for days on end with the cool, cloudy weather we have been experiencing lately. The sunshine today opened them up and the deep purple ones (two pics up) had a honey bee in one and a fly in the other before I took this picture.


This Canada goose seems to have a broken wing. We have waaay too many geese around and I know they are a nuisance, but I still hate to see any animal (or human) suffer.

As the daylight hours lengthen our chickens get back into egg laying mode. We do have a light on a timer that comes on in the morning, but they sure seem to be happier with longer, slightly warmer days. I have been collecting five eggs per day for the last few days in a row. In mid winter I was getting just two or three.

These are ISA Browns. I started them from day old chicks two years ago. It was hard to find chicks at that time due to the pandemic. Everyone wanted to have chickens in case of food shortages. I had to eliminate one hen recently because it did not seem healthy. But, the rest seem quite well, thank you. They sure do squawk a lot when I go outdoors. They want treats, to be let out of their pen, or something, I guess. It can be a little bit annoying at times, but, I like to see them. It makes me feel like I am on a farm and their eggs are delicious.

Thanks to Leighton Twp Library for hosting us and our Maple Syrup Program in early April. It is always fun speaking at their library.

I hope you enjoyed the blog. I'll catch up with you later.

 

 























 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Blooming Now

In my beehive journal I often write, "Blooming Now" and list all the main wildflowers honey bees visit that are currently blooming...