Sunday, May 22, 2022

The Bird and the Bees


We participated in the Kent County Parks Discover! event yesterday at Millennium Park and had a unique experience involving an oriole.



My wife was talking to the Birds of Prey ladies so I walked over and saw an oriole in an autumn olive bush. I didn't want to interrupt, but I didn't want them to miss it either. It looked so pretty amidst the creamy white blossoms. I said, "Look, an oriole." They all exclaimed in delight.


 As we watched, the oriole flew over to our display and sat watching the live honey bees.


We wondered if it saw a lunch buffet in the observation hive.




I gradually walked closer, taking pictures all the way, expecting it to fly.


Instead of flying, it perched on our honey straws and pecked at one. So, I eased the bag up and the oriole rode along. Look at the amazing colors on the bird. The breast has hues of yellow and orange I found remarkable up close.

Finally, it hopped onto my wrist where it sat for 30-40 seconds and then flew away. 

It was a unique experience indeed!





1 comment:

I've Got Worms!!

 I do not need another hobby in my life, but I started a new one. I have started raising worms. It is a natural fit for someone who likes to...